Friday, January 21, 2005

OK, for the most part I try to abstain from discussing politics and the state of our world because I know that, for most, it makes for a boring read OR they have a v different viewpoint and become upset. So , in advance, I will apologise if I bore anyone or upset anyone, but seriously, I am nauseated by the so-called progress and evolution of the Western World and its impacts on everything from human rights to playing Mother Nature (eg cloning) to the environment. Blah.

But what are we, the concerned citizens of this world, to do? It is a David vs. Goliath fight and I fear it may already have been won by the giants.

Anyway, here's a thought for the day - pulled straight from the archives of Anne's blog:


Laurence W. Britt, a political scientist, details 14 similarities in Fascist movements in the article "Fascism Anyone?".

These similarities can be found in Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Franco's Spain, Salazar's Portugal, Papadopoulos's Greece, Pinochet's Chile, and Suharto's Indonesia. Most of these are becoming all too well known in America as well.

Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism
Disdain for the importance of human rightsI
dentification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause
The supremacy of the military/avid militarism
Rampant sexism
A controlled mass media
Obsession with national security
Religion and ruling elite tied together
Power of corporations protected
Power of labor suppressed or eliminated
Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts
Obsession with crime and punishment
Rampant cronyism and corruption
Fraudulent elections

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news - I am taking a holiday in March! I think I will go to Sweden..actually I KNOW I will go to Sweden! Yah!

It hurts to laugh - I went to boxercise class and was tortured.

Tonight I am checking out the only pub in Edinburgh with Wireless Internet Access - the Jolly Judge. Woohoo!

Hmm..what else to say? Not a whole lot I guess - looking forward to the weekend. It is lovely outside today.

To certain people:

Dear Dad: It was nice to talk to you last night too! Hope the weather clears soon - but please please don't go on the roads until it is good again (that goes for all you Islanders!!). Well, hope you keep reading my blog, I'll do my best to call more often now that I've discovered an extremely good calling card.

Dear Sahra: DO you even read this anymore? I will try calling you this weekend. Or maybe email you. We need to talk about something :)

Dear Everyone Else: I hope you are happy. Write me!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, I'll write you. :)

Your Quote: 'It is lovely outside today.'

My Response: It's a lovely -35 degrees today. Thanks.

Brandon

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brandon. No more thoughts on "lovely" weather because everyone in Canada is suffering, whether it be excessive snow, excessive rain, or excessive FREEZING TEMPS!

But in other news... there is none... Oh except Michelle is heading back to Trinidad for a while, we're having a little supper thingy with her (me, becky and hopefully renee) on Monday and she leaves Tuesday. I'll write soon though and fill you in more, I'm off to TO next weekend, yeah!

Rae

Shannon Courtney said...

Suck it up Canucks! THat's what it's all about - living in Canada - at least you're not on PEI with all the blizzards!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Shannon,
Well we just got through one storm and now we are in the beginning of an expected bigger one . It's supossed to snow and blow all day and into the night and tomorrow. About 40cm are expected before it is finished. Pat told me that according to the almanack we are supposed to get five stormes this year. ( The Almanack is as good a weather man as Boomer) I only hope they are counting the other two we had this year. Then that will mean this is number three. I may not get to the woods this year to cut my wood if the snow is two thick in the woods.
Don't worry about me on the roads, I might not be able to get there for awhile.But if I do I'll be careful just for you.
Nothing else new here but Joan may be coming down in mid Feb for a week or two. Won't know for sure untill about Feb 5th.
Your political ideas are right on track but don't let them get you down . The've been building that way since the early seventies and I'm still trying to come to grips with them.
LOVE LUCK AND ANGELS
DADDY

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP ford window motor Sklep peugeot mundial