Thursday, July 26, 2007

ENFJ

OK, so anyone who knows me well, knows I am addicted to personality tests, most specifically the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator Test. It turns out that the reason this stuff intrigues me so much is because I am an ENFJ Personality type. I know some people dismiss the significance of these things (probably in part because of their personality type!), but I've found it to be useful in understanding myself, developing my 'weaker' areas and in understanding my relationships with other people/personality tests.

Here are snip-its about my ENFJ Personality Type:

The Idealists called Teachers are abstract in their thought and speech, cooperative in their style of achieving goals, and directive and expressive in their interpersonal relations

Teachers expect the very best of those around them, and this expectation, usually expressed as enthusiastic encouragement, motivates action in others and the desire to live up to their expectations. Teachers have the charming characteristic of taking for granted that their expectations will be met, their implicit commands obeyed, never doubting that people will want to do what they suggest.

The Teachers are found in no more than 2 or 3 percent of the population. They prefer to plan both work and social engagements ahead of time and tend to be absolutely reliable in honoring these commitments. At the same time, Teachers are very much at home in complex situations which require the juggling of much data with little pre-planning. In much the same way, Teachers value harmonious human relations about all else, can handle people with charm and concern, and are usually popular wherever they are.

Teachers can overwhelm their loved ones with their exuberance, and with their Pygmalion presumption that everyone wants to be helped along the path of self-discovery. Then, when their loved ones either resist their pressure or fail to meet their idealistic expectations, Teachers can feel frustrated, disillusioned, or even betrayed by the persons they care most about.

Oh dear me - I want to laugh. Hahaha. I am off the races now - the harness races that is!

1 comment:

Rob said...

have learned that a little of me goes a long way - I have to keep my mouth shut at home - once as i was banging on to james my son as we waited for a movie to start, he interrupted me and asked in a sad voice "dad can't we talk about baseball or something silly? Do we have to be serious all the time?'

It's a curse Shannon