Friday, May 26, 2006

So, it's my last full day on PEI for a long while. Tomorrow I take off into the great known...well, kind of. So I'm landing in the familiarity of my home away form home, Edinburgh, and couch surfing at Ailbhe's for the first few days, but after that I am heading down to Berwick-Upon-Tweed, where, if all goes well, I will be setting up residence for the summer. I haven't been there before but Jen & Kelly assured me it's a lovely little town and I've checked it out abit - there's a gym, leisure centre, organic store and farmer's market, so I think I'm set! It's also on the coast, so there are apparently some really nice coastal walking/cycling paths. Me thinks I should train fora triatholon. Except, wait does that involve swimming? Because I quite swimming lessons back when I was five years old - the instructors were way too patronizing for my taste....

Yesterday I opted not to go see my nutritionist and instead I ate a number of sinful foods. I also did some productive things, like go for a jog, clean my room and pack my luggage. I learned that :

a) I'm NOT allergic to dust, or I would have suffocated in my sleep, my room was just that bad
b) I've picked up some travelling tricks ove the years that will benefit me greatly - my carry-on is 24 lbs..I put everything heavy in it and when I go to check in I'l have my sister watch over it, so they can't weigh it and charge me for extra poundage
c) I am addicted to chocolate - no big surprise there but even I was impressed by how I polished off the pan of Chewy Gooey Looies that I had made. (recipe to follow at bottom of this post)

Right, so today I have to finish packing, cleaning and burning Cds for my personal MP3/CD player. I should have just broken down and bought an iPod. Maybe once I start making bigger bucks..or any bucks for that matter. As it is I already spent A LOT of money this week on gym clothes, Asics sneakers (Go to Hasheem's Convenience on Fitzroy St..way cheaper than Sports Chek!), a BritRail Pass, books (The Stroy fo B and The Time Traeller's Wife) and other stuff I can't recall..mostly toiletries I guess.

This week I've been saying a lot of goodbyes. I'm not grat at goodbyes, which is to say it doesn't usually sink in that I am leaving and won't be seeing these familiar faces for a long long time. That being said, it was difficult to say goodbye to my dad and then to follow that up with farewellls to Keri, Patrick, Jen & JOan, and to think I've already said goodbye to Adama and Tash. Tomorrow till be the most goodbyes though - Mom, JIm, Sahra, Henry and, if she shows up at step class, Rana. Bah I say to goodbyes.

I also discovered afew great things this week:

1. A yummy Thai take-out on Pownal Street - same block as the Legion. I highly recommend it for quality of food, prtion size, friendliness, selection and because you are helping a local family.
2. Amos Lee - a brilliant singer/songwriter. He only had one CD out, but I recommend you get it if you like music.
3. People will surprise you every once in awhile. And that's a good thing.


Chewy Gooey Looies

1/2 C. Corn Syrup
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. Margarine

Heat ina saucepan, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and is bubbling throug. Take off heat when bubbling and immediately add the following:

1/2 C. smooth peanut butter
1 C. graham wafer crumbs
1/4 C. cocoa
1 1/2 Cs. Rice Krispies or Just Right or other small-flake, low sugar cereal

Stir well and pour into greased 8 x 8 or 9 x9 pan. Refrigerate until cooled. Cut in squares and devour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» » »