Saturday, May 13, 2006

OK folks, it's two weeks to D-Day. Somehow, the third time around it doesn't seem nearly as daunting, yet still just as surreal. I mean two weeks from today I will be getting on a flight to Glasgow, Scotland and I have absolutely no idea when I will be returning to Canada, when I will see my family again, when I will care about the fact that Harper is our PM, when I will ever be here to catch a season of Canadian Idol and when I will next savor the sweet, sweet taste of North American style Peanut Butter again.

Aside from landing in Scotland and crashing at Ailbhe's for a few days, it's all up in the air. That' right, mega-planner Shannon is going to try flying by the seat of her pants (which she sincerely hopes her butt will continue to fit into upon returning to land of tempting chocolate and haggis!).

Ideally, I'd like to stay in Scotland for the length of my tourist visa (90 days) and then, by that time, have sorted out and arranged my next adventure, which will most likely be Teaching English in Korea or Living it Up Down Under in Oz or NZ.

So..yeah. It's kind of strange. I have started asking myself why I am leaving again. The truth is, I don't know if I really have a good answer, but here's my general rationalization, which sunds pretty good when I get the spiel down pat:

Firstly, I very much miss Edinburgh. I miss everything about the city - Princes Street, with its lovely gardens perfect for lounging an afternoon away and Edinbugrh Castle perched on a rocky cliff, dominating the skyline. From rocking out at the Walk About, trying to catcha glimpse of the Old Guy to the high energy bands that fiddle it up at Drop KIck Murphy's, the cobblestone streets and quaint little shops, the way you can while away a Saturday drinking outside a pub or laying in a park and not feel quilty about it at all. Oh, and did I mention the chocolate and pic n mix.

OK, so that's why I am going to Edinburgh, but as for the rest of my adventure....

WEll, quite frankly, there isn't another, better option here in Canada that appeals to me. My greatest fear if I stay here is that I will find myself in a decent-paying job that is just that - a job. It pays the bills, it provides me with something to do from Monday to Friday, but it does nothing more - it does not stimulate the mind, it does not offer me the cahnce to meet new people from all corners of the earth, it does not encourage me to think outside the box. It simply becomes something I depend on for a steady income...and then I would start accumlating 'stuff' and maybe sign a lease and then, suddenly, I'd have those things called 'commitments' or 'obligations' and I'd find myself trapped. So, yeah that's my fear.

I have been thinking about going back to school and I may very well go back and do my Masters..probably in something related to journalism or writing, but I'm not ready for that either - it's more of a time and financial commitment then I am ready to make at the moment.

So, I guess, by default, travelling the world seems like a pretty good option. It's something I can do now, that I may not be able to do later..especially after I hit the all important 3-0, it keeps me from being tied down, it offers me the chance to meet more incredible people, take on new and interesting challenges, learn more about who I am and what I'm made of and..er...maybe get some sunshine , eat some fine fare and conquer some more countries...

There -that's my rationalisation. So, with two weeks left here on PEI, I'm trying to spend as much time relaxing and with my family as possible. They're all such wonderful people and I am going to miss them a lot...especially during BBQ and harvest season eh Ma & Jim?!

K - gotta go get ready for a Bachelorette shindig!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think you pretty much nailed it on the head as for reasoning to go back to Edinburgh! Despite having an absolute blast in Orlando, I miss it there too =( Hope to catch you on the phone before you leave!

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
» »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »