Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It Seems Logical To Me

A few days ago I read something that I intuitively knew to be true, but which came as quite a revealation considering how often people deny it. What I read is this:

Every single decision we make (or don't make) is emotion-drive. Not 50% or 90%, but 100% of the choices we make are directed by one of two emotions: fear or desire. And most of the time, most people let their fear direct their choices.

Wow. OK, maybe this seems elementary to some and unthinkable to others.

For me, it seems like such an obvious truth, but this is because I don't do well at containing my desires and will generally follow them to the ends of the Earth.

I had become convinced by others there is an alternative to letting emotions drive your decisions and it is called logic. This seemed to make sense at a theoretical level, but never having found myself able to completely avoid the paramount importance of m heart in making decisions, I figured I was just some sort of anomaly that lacked 'Logcal Decision-Making' DNA.

But maybe I'm not DNA devoid. Maybe logic is really just a validation for fear-based decisions. I mean, let's face it, no one wants to admit they are afraid to take a chance, to make a leap that could lead to failure, to leave their comfort zone. Admitting to fear is something we are supposed to be ashamed of. It apparently shows weakness of character. And so, when we're afraid to do something, say something, be someone, we disguise our decisions to 'stay the course' as being those of logic without consultation of the heart. Really, though, they are decisions made in denial of desires and compliance with fear. Most of the time it's not even a conscious thing - most of the time the fear is so numbing that we don't even realise that it is, indeed, the emotion that is the basis of our choice.

I don't know if the above is a logical deduction of what logic is, but it kind of makes sense to me!

In other news, there are no people left on the Island. Labour Day has come and gone and with it went all the fanny packs and license plates 'from away'. The Farmer's Market is no longer open on Wednesdays and there are 'Sale' signs at all the souvenir shops. Anne & Gilbert are in love and off on their honeymoon. The fall leaves are starting to carpet the ground and sweaters are now the wooly kind and not the drenched co-workers whose offices had no A/C.

I am following a budget these days and it's going remarkably well. It turns out I don't spend much money on entertainment or other things, just on food. I can't help it - eating healthy is an investment that I am willing to make. I carry over the cash I don't spend from each week, so it's cumulative. At the end of a four week period, I'll put aside what I've not spent and either invest it or eventually treat myself to an extravagence. Whatever I save in September will be going towards my five day trip to Toronto in October. So that begs the question - do I get highlights with my haircut or save the money so I can have a fine dining experience in the big city sans nicely coiffed and colourful hair? And, for the record, coiffed is, indeed, a word that is in the dictionary.

No comments: