Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sand, Sunshine and Sugar

Since I last left you in Midge Point, I've been having an absolute blast!!!! OK, so here are the highlights by gepgraphical location:

Midge Point

- I left not a moment too early, having spent 5 days at Cathy & Terry's. Four hours a day I spent cleaning a house that, in my opinion, was spotless. Three hours a day I spent exercising my butt off (hopefully). The rest of the time was spent doing very little and quite enjoying it. But it was definitely time to head south after five days.

Rockhampton

- I spent a non eventful night in Rockhampton in an attempt to avoid the overnight Greyhound bus trip, but my clever plan was averted by my brain which decided I was not going to sleep well at all. On the upside I did meet a bonafide cowboy who was driving a herd of 1500 hundred cattle to the death (but at least they were getting the scenic tour to cow heaven)

Hervey Bay/Fraser Island

- I arrived at the Friendly hostel and enjoyed a quiet afternoon in this bayside town. I was enjoying my own thoughts whilst looking out over the bay from a jetty when a random Australian dude carrying a can of XXXX beer decided to start a conversation with me, which turned into him walking me to the grocery store and then back to my hostel where I bid him farewell and enjoyed a quiet evening at the hostel

- The next morning I boarded a HUGE ASS 4WD bus for my Fraser Island 2 day /1 night tour. WHAT AN AWESOME TIME I HAD!!! This was definitely one of the major highlights of my trip so far - everything about the tour was fantastic - the Island is something special - it is totally composed of sand...in fact it has enough sand to fill the Sahara desert. It is pretty much a green oasis with random, clear blue lakes that beckon you to take a dip in their warm waters. We walked through rainforests, stood 5 feet from a wild dingo that was walking along the beach, drove through tracks of sand and down the island's highway - the eastern shore of the island. I decided to go all out and splurged ona scenic flight with a beach takeoff and a landing - oh it was wonderful. We also walked through rainforsets and had a fabulous meal at the campground before enjoying a fitful sleep in luxury safari tents.

If anyoe is thinking of going to Fraser Island I highly recommend the Fraser Island Company's tours and Captain Kirk in particular as a guide!!!

NOOSA

Well, that's where I am now - my seventh Helpxing experience and it has been brilliant. Janine is a lovely woman in her late forties - very relaxed about life and a wonderful spirit. She has all sorts of farm animals including a horse, a cow, llamas and chickens. She also has two chiuauas, a poodle, and Italian greyhound and two Siamese cats. Awwwww. There are also two very funny German girls staying here. We've been having a ball and yes, I finally broke my No Sugar resolution - screw it. I have not been drinking or eating sugar since I started thi trip and I STILL managed to gain weight so I've decided to give in and accept that the only place I can lose it is on PEI. Hey at least that's one thing that will always draw me back! So yah, we'ev been enjoying our chocolate, good conversation and some lovely days out and about. Right now we are preparing to have a Hair Night which involves pink adn purple colours. I am being boring though and going for some blonde and caramel highlighs.

Less than two weeks of travelling left. SOB!

No comments: